April 24, 2008

Salute to Mr. Frick



What blog about show skating could go without paying tribute to Mr. Frick, who passed away April 14, 2008 at the sprightly age of 92. He was a skating pioneer.

I remember seeing him in Ice Follies when I was a kid. The highlight, of course, was his signature move and it always brought the house down. I also remember trying to pull off the "Mr. Frick", a.k.a. the spread-eagle cantilever, as a kid at the end of many a long or unproductive freestlye session. I could never do it.

But I'm sure I was not the only one to try and I'm sure this "goofing" off inspired some great interpretations to become today's class of hydroplaning. (I think we also need to give props to Charlie Tickner in the 80s for his signature hand-on-ice spin. Have I forgotten anyone else?)

Back to the granddad of comic show skaters - he and Mr. Frack started a great tradition. Cheers to Mr. Frick and to the ice shows of yesteryear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sprightly is an excellent word to use for Mr. Frick. He was the epitome of that all his life. A warm, funny and resilient gentleman to be sure. He kept young and active - he would relate how he would walk to stay active at 90 - to have his favorite apple pie at his favorite seat at his special restaurant in his native country. He loved life, he loved people and he cherished his skating career. Fr. Frick was also very humble and modest - yet he had an inner strength that was unsurpassed.
I add my sentiments to your tribute - and am thankful for the wonderful words and photos for this inspired and inspiring man. Blessings! Terry