May 1, 2008

Gershwin's Skating Dreams

I thought this was cool and I hope you fellow skaters think so too.

I was watching Fantasia 2000 with my four-year old the other day and discovered a segment in Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" (to me, a beautiful piece of music), where all four main characters, each unhappy in someway, start "daydreaming" of a better situation and the animators portrayed it in the form of ice skating.

I think one of the animators must have known the freeing feeling of gliding on the ice, landing a jump, or hitting a really fast spin and likened it to a better life for those characters.






You can check it out for yourself.



Gotta love You Tube! The entire animation on the Fantasia DVD is 13 minutes, but someone on You Tube divided it into two parts, so you only have to watch a minute or so into Part 2 to see what I'm talking about.

What I wish to know is who skated for the animators? I've been digging around but haven't found any mentions of skating. If anyone knows, do tell.

No comments: