April 16, 2008

My Own Tribute to Dorothy

Since she was recently feted at the Figure Skating in Harlem Benefit, I thought I would add that the two best ice shows I ever saw both featured Dorothy Hamill.

She is, in my humble opinion, one of the few Olympians that became a stronger skater after her peak of winning the gold, due to her "Edge" work with Nathan Birch and Tim Murphy.

I think their "Edge Class" came about in the absence of school figures. She required her skaters to participate before every performance in Ice Capades (at the time she owned it) and it made her stroking, her balance, and (I bet if you asked her) her spins better.

Now back to the two shows, "The Next Ice Age" was at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. and Gershwin On Ice in Atlantic City. This article from Skate Web focuses on the first, mentions the last and describes them much better than I can.

No comments: