July 31, 2019

This is how we traveled - Ice Capades edition

Before I start, I need to mention, I skated in Holiday On Ice and several small productions.  I never skated in Ice Capades, nor Disney On Ice.  But, we ice skaters, are a big, sometimes happy family, and we work we each other in all sorts of shows. So you hear or you see what the other shows were/are all about.

So, let me explain ...

In the early days of ice shows, being on the road meant carrying everything with you ... on the road.  That meant your suitcase was probably stuffed to almost exploding levels, you were never really sure what was clean and you may not have seen the bottom of your suitcase for weeks.

Luckily, someone came up with the idea to let the skaters use trunks, that traveled with sets and costumes, so we could store additional clothing and whatever crazy items we brought with us.  One girl had a coffee maker in her trunk, another stashed a guitar in there.  And one girl in my division filled hers entirely with yarn.  Lots of yarn.  So much yarn, she knit everyone a vest for Christmas.  Yeah, lots of yarn.

In another post, I'll explain what was the weekly schedule of Holiday On Ice, and fold in the saga of getting, storing and using a trunk.  It deserves its own post.  It felt like a saga back in the day.

For now, I'll show you photos that someone had recently posted about the Ice Capades trunks.  I've got to say, I'm jealous because HOI trunks were big metal boxes, nothing fancy.  These are like works of art.


But wait a minute, Ice Charades, that trunk says Holiday On Ice on it.  

Why, yes.  Yes it does.  By the time I skated in HOI, these older steamer trunks had fallen out of fashion.  



I wish they hadn't, because this style is so much more useful than a big metal box.  Ice Capades still used these.  Look how cool that is!  It has drawers!  Our trunks never had drawers.

And the best thing about Ice Capades trunks is that they got delivered to your hotel door.  How convenient.  It's a moving closet (which, most importantly, you never had to move yourself.)


An entire hotel hallway lined with Ice Capades trunks.  I sure hope the front desk didn't stick any hotel guests wanting to get, you know, some sleep near these rooms.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My word. Does this bring back memories. The glamour! Ha! And to think one year the Company Manager visiting our dressing rooms to ask that we keep our hotel rooms neat because the maids that week complained to the hotel management it was difficult to move around and clean in our "messy" room. Ah..the joy of "quadding" with 4 skaters and 8 suitcases...literally packed in a DOUBLE room! My all time favorite were the Ice Capettes; slinging their wet (show) wigs over the bathroom shower curtain rods to dry out after the occasional cleaning. I remember seriously watching the diet two weeks before we (literally) rolled into Chicago. Knowing what was ahead...Chicago style PIZZA!