February 6, 2012

Superbowl Half-time Review


Why not? Since it's a light week in skating news .... a review of Madonna's half-time performance ...

From a very random look at my Facebook skating (and other) friends, Madonna got great reviews. Several shout-outs. Several "likes." It doesn't surprise me that performers themselves like a performer like Madonna.

Go ahead, try to do a few of those knee-bending squats she does all the time. I can't - I get tuckered out after three. But that's why Madonna looks like she does.

And she performed as she always does ... solid.

I was even more impressed with the guys and gals who designed that stage - WOW. And the lighting! Wow - again. Perhaps that is going on the road with her when she tours.

But I've got to say, what if you were one of those people who paid beucoup bucks to sit on the 50-yard line and come half-time all you saw was the back of Madonna's head and the scaffolding holding up that awesome stage? The concert should have been in the round, so everyone got a show. Don't worry, there were enough cameras to cover all four sides for continuous TV coverage. But, TV trumps all, I guess.

I was glad to see an homage to marching bands. In my opinion, that's what they really need at the half-time for a football game. Bring out the best marching bands and let them dazzle the crowds.

If any of you have ever seen Blast (the Show), you know this can be done. If you haven't seen the show yet, you won't be disappointed. Madonna seemed like an odd choice for NFL fans, to me. But anyway, the nod to marching bands was a nice touch.



The only question I have is about the guy on the rather-low high-wire? WTF? Was that Richard Simmons?

No comments: