November 16, 2009

What's In A Name?

The Urban Muse posted a blog on the same subject I was working on ... how to name your blog. She has some great tips if you are working on a name for a blog, book, song, etc.

I must admit, I never thought of alphabetical placement. That might have been smart. Maybe Aaron at Axels, Loops, and Spins can weigh in on that. I did keep the name short and sweet. Most of all, I wanted it to be catchy.

So I googled "common phrases" and worked my way down the list, but nothing was remotely related to skating. Then I thought of Ice Capades and charades and voila!

But when I started setting up this blog, I discovered I wasn't the first to think of Ice Charades. A kids' tv show from Canada had beat me to it! Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends - seems to have "Going to the Ice Charades" as a reoccurring theme ... but luckily, we can share the title. I love the little intro here.




Now, if there were some way I could work this into the trailer for my novel.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I haven't the foggiest idea of how I came about the name for my blog.

Fluke of nature I suppose?

I remember when I first started blogging I had this un-Godly long detailed runner underneath the title. "You're one source for all things figure skating blah blah blah..."

Alexandra said...

Uh-oh. I started at the other end of the alphabet!

Ice Charades said...

With a name like Xan, you don't have to worry, you've got everyone's attention. That's a great name!